There are many types of exposures within the dental profession which can make it difficult knowing you have the right coverage.
Do you have the right coverage?
Meadowbrook Insurance Agency can help you select the coverage you need for your business.
Available coverages include:
- Professional Liability
- Dental Malpractice
- Hired/Non-Owned Auto
- Cyber Liability
- General Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Workers Compensation
- Umbrella/Excess Liability
Meadowbrook Insurance Agency will make sure you have the coverage you need for your business.
What is dental malpractice coverage?
Dental malpractice coverage protects dental professionals from the unique exposures they face while practicing in the dental industry. These exposures have the potential to provide deep and catastrophic financial and emotional losses to your clients.
Examples when dental malpractice coverage would be needed:
- Improper extraction
- Poorly placed dental work
- Botched surgery
- Nerve damage
- Loss of taste or sensation
- Failure to diagnose (e.g., TMJ, oral cancer)
- Failure to properly treat complications of care (e.g., infection)
- Failure to properly supervise actions of employees and/or hygienists
- Wrongfully administered anesthesia
- Failure to refer to a specialist
- Lack of informed consent
- HIPAA violations
Steps you can take immediately:
Communication and documentation are critical in a malpractice law suit. Some “best practices” you can employ today include:
- Dental records should contain a clear chronology of events, future treatment plans, and communication between the dentist and patient.
- Maintain copies of the written informed consent for any procedures done
- Keep a clear record of the patient’s history
- Always provide a clear treatment plan
- Always follow up with missed or cancelled appointments
- Never erase anything in a patient’s chart!